Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Dirt on Desserts

    So usually when I go grocery shopping I tend to get just the gluten free staples: pasta, bread, cereal, snacks (always the same ol' brand of course. I feel us anti-glutinites are petrified of ever exploring once we find something we like...ok I get it, but how boring is that!?). Need less to say I never really splurge on anything. Maybe I'll go crazy once every 3 months and get myself a cookie mix or something equally as satisfying to my ridiculous obsession with sweets but that's about it. Pathetic, I know.

     But the other day I came home from a long day and there was a large box on my kitchen table. Hmm...I pondered, thinking it must be for Fred but he hadn't opened it yet. He turned to me with a gleam in his eye and I knew he was up to something. "Open it!" So I did and then, when I saw the contents of the box, I was in shock. His parents had graciously given me a whole box full of gluten free recipe mixes! Now, getting back to my sweet obsession, let's just say I was in the Mecca of sweetness: coffee cake mixes, vanilla cake mixes, rolls, frosting, etc etc. So, I did what any other dessert lover would do, I set the oven to 350 degrees and started baking. I mean, do you blame me? I decided to try the "Old Fashioned Cake & Cookie Mix" by Gluten Free Pantry. If you haven't tried this brand before I highly recommend you do. It's gluten/wheat, trans fat, and cholesterol free (so you can have your cake and eat it too!). Now, you have to use two eggs but seeing as I am allergic, I just used egg substitute (2tbs of water and 2tbs of cornstarch). Also, for those lactose intolerant peeps you can just use Lactaid or soy milk or water. Simple! Not having a cake pan, I poured the mix into a cupcake tin and it worked perfectly! Strapped for time (and ingredients) I used a pre-made frosting that was in the refrigerator. I've done some research and Pillsbury "Chocolate Fudge Funfetti" frosting is gluten-free and oh so yummy!



     It has been YEARS since I've had a cupcake. YEARS. It was so amazing to be able to bite into something and have it remind me of "regular" food. It was so moist and tasty. Just delicious. So, if you're craving something sweet, like I do on a regular basis, give this mix a try!


As I try the other mixes, I will tell you how they are!


Not as cool as the previously described cupcakes. At all.


No comments: