Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Breakfast Food Blues

Good morning!
Ok so everyone has a morning routine. For me, I drag myself out of bed after my alarm goes off about 5 times, wash my face, put my (gluten free) makeup on, get dressed and maybe do some work before I have to leave. But one thing that I always make sure I have time for is breakfast, I just can function without it. When I first started buying gluten free breakfast foods I was told spelt was ok. Well, it's not, which knocked out a large portion of my options. I am sad to say I have not found a bagel that compares to the real thing and sometimes the Whole Foods GF Bakery is just too expensive (but absolutely yummy!). I went through countless soggy cereals that were completely lack of flavor. However, one day I decided to try a different cereal. It is called GF Cereal: Honey Nut (brand: Glutino).


I wasn't optimistic. I poured the cereal into a bowl and it reminded me of Cheerios...but I still had my doubts. Then I tried it and wow! it was so good! Sweet and crunchy and oh so like the real thing. It's good for you too (no saturated fat or cholesterol). I used to dread eating breakfast foods because they never satisfied me and always tasted blah but this cereal is really worth a try. There is also an Apple and Cinnamon flavor but I personally like the Honey Nut better. You can find it at Whole Foods but I've also bought it at Shaws. It's about $4.99, which is the cost of most regular cereals (my boyfriend Fred has a box of Cheerios in the cabinet for $4.29). If you're lactose intolerant, like me, don't worry about the milk situation. Soy milk is always an option, however I know many people are also allergic to soy. I always drink Lactaid milk. I think it's delicious. Also, they have these Lactaid pills you can buy at any grocery store or pharmacy that are amazing. You take one right before you eat/drink dairy products and it is supposed to keep you from getting sick. It will work for 1/2 hour so you can have as much dairy as you like within that time! So if you are jonesing for some regular milk, you have that option too.

Give this cereal a try and tell me what you think!

No comments: