Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hello World

My name is Megan and I have had Celiac Disease for about 9 years now. I also have a smorgasbord of other allergies as well. Living gluten free has been a constant learning experience (mostly through making mistakes!) and I am feeling only now that I have somewhat of a grip on my diet. But, as is with life, there are always obstacles. Aside from being gluten free (because that does NOT define who I am) I am also a 22 year old graduate student and, needless to say, do not have a very large budget. I also do not have the time to try and find the obscure, yet creative, ingredients that many gluten free recipes require or suggest. A challenge for me has been finding quick and easy ways to cook filling and delicious meals. I'm Italian so you know I love food and I'll be honest, I thought it couldn't be done. I thought I would be destined to eat cardboard pieces of "bread" that had a consistency strangely like that of cement for the rest of my life.

But this, thank goodness, was not true. There are fairly reasonable gluten free foods out there that 1. you don't have to set a whole day aside to prepare and 2. require only the ingredients you would normally have in your cupboard or refrigerator. Also, it's important to remember that it's unfortunately not just about the food. There are all sorts of wonderful everyday items that gluten free peeps need to watch out for (lucky us!).

This blog then is going to be designed around sorting through all these recipes and lotions and cross contaminations and even the dreaded, scary restaurant menus to figure out the easiest, cheapest way to live gluten free and not feel like we are settling. I will post my favorite things (I promise not to put them in song like Julie Andrews in Sound of Music...although I bet that would be really entertaining...for me probably not you). I also encourage you, my wonderful reader, to post anything you feel necessary, whether it's to tell me I'm wrong about something (I am only human and unfortunately don't know everything about Celiac Disease!) or your favorite foods, restaurants, or any other tidbits you may have up your sleeve. So, thanks for reading and I hope it turns out to be helpful for you!



No comments: